Tuesday 23 March 2010

Filling in the holes.

The reasons for this blog is to help those of my friends and family keep abreast of all the pool goings on in my life. There's a lot of pool played and for various reasons.


Below is a message I sent Louisa who couldn't make it to BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sports) annual competition.
Louisa and I were in the 2nd team for Oxford uni last year along with Conny (who was the captain of the 2nd) and Ally, who also couldn't make it this year. Last year Louisa and I got through to the semi finals of the singles tournament and had to play each other for a place in the final. I can't remember the score, but Louisa won and went on to win the singles gold medal. Our 2nd team also got to the semi finals of the team play-offs where we had to play the Oxford 1st team (Nicki, Dr. Ceri Jones and scary Rachel, that was very hard (I nearly puked on the table when I played against Nicki!). We lost to Oxford 1st team but they went on to win gold, so no hard feelings.

OK, so onto this year; this is what I reported back to Louisa...

"You were missed at the comp.
Wasn't like last year. Less people but the quality of play was a lot better, which made it more interesting although the atmosphere wasn't so good on the first day and a bit scrappy on the second coz there were normal punters using the tables as we were playing. Odd.
Conny played text-book pool in her semi and final knock-out, and even the ref said it was the best pool he'd seen. Couldn't be more proud of her and so pleased for her after all, she's worked so damned hard.
It just wasn't my year, what with a VERY bad stomach and 'stuff' (you know) and I was shot to pieces with nerves, something that I'd never experienced before, it was ridiculous, I felt like such a girl, anyway, I got some of my play back, but not enough to beat the girl in the quart finals -a very close 2-2 with a final frame for the win- the girl went of to play Conny in the final. I played better on the second day as everyone seemed to. After Conny 'wowed' everyone we had to finish the team quarter finals and after beating Durham 4-0 that morning, we had to play them again and flippin' lost 4-1, they went on to beat our 2nds team girsl to a decider play off and then Manchester, who we've managed to get very pally with, and then Durham won the team event, taking away our trophy, FINALLY. It'll be a lot better next year coz I think more people will enter thinking they might have a chance. Cambridge didn't really feature at all; scraping together something for Varsity, but I don't think it'll be that good a comp."

I went on to say a bit more but that's the brunt of it. It is a little worrying that Cambridge haven't got much of a team 'coz it's our turn to go to Cambridge this year for the annual varsity match. I hope they get enough players for us to beat. :)

This coming Sunday is the first meeting for the Oxford County Women's Team. We all got back form BUCS on Sunday morning and then spent from 2pm trying out for the County team, as if playing for the uni wasn't enough! A bunch of us uni team girls got in so I'm really excited about this years' events.

I want to write more about the Pub league I play in on a Monday , but I'll just have to wait to talk about jaeger-fighting pool.

BUCS last years' photos and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment